POP stands for Post Office Protocol and is an Internet Mail process that transfers your email messages from Cork Web Design servers to your computer. POP3 is the latest version of POP. It allows you to receive you messages through your favorite email software client (e.g., Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, etc).
POP also allows you to:
- Use an e-mail software package installed on your computer and keep local copies of your e-mail messages on your hard drive
- Connect faster than the Web Mail option
- Compose and review e-mail messages while not connected to the Internet
- Send e-mail messages in rich text, using features like bold and underline
- Consolidate messages from multiple mailboxes into a single interface (e.g., you can read e-mail messages from multiple mailboxes in one client such as Outlook Express).
- Leave your e-mail messages on the Cork Web Design server so you can access your e-mail messages while traveling. However, if you choose to use this feature by enabling the setting, you will need to closely monitor your storage and delete e-mail messages you no longer need or purchase additional storage. If you need access to all your emails while on the road we recommend using the email forwarding feature to forward to a gmail account. G-mail currently offer up to 8GB of storage which is more than enough to store a copy of your email for mobility.
For more information about our email features please visit our Email Hosting page.